Thursday, January 15, 2009

 

The Mallard Point Story Begins

In effort to find a place for Mallard Point residents to "meet" (especially when it comes to this headache called drainage) I thought I'd start a blog about it. (Keep in mind, I have never created a blog before so it might have a rough start.)

Everyone will be able to comment here in the comments section. Just click it. You do not even have to sign in, but if you comment as anonymous, please add your name.

I will start this out by introducing myself. I am Julie Walker. My husband Chris and I have been married for ten years. We live at 
393 Mallard Lane. We moved to Mallard Point in May of 2004. We have two children Ryan who is 9 and our little toddler, Abby.

We never had a drop of water in our basement until the day after Christmas last month. Our whole finished and unfinished area got about an inch or so of water. 

We never had a water issue outside either, until this past summer when the far edge of our yard turned into a literal sponge. Our adjoining neighbors' yards had varying degrees of water as well.

Please pass this site on to any of your neighbors in Mallard Point. I hope we can use this place to discuss the pressing issues that face us now. I hope in the future we could still us this blog for things like finding a babysitter or a handyman. Maybe a playgroup or a poker game.

I think the first order of business would be to select a few residents to be our voice at the meeting on the 27th (and perhaps meeting after that.)

If you wish to volunteer for this or nominate someone you know, please leave that information in the comments section.

I think Bill Angelotti is a good choice. (He lives on Brookhaven Court and is a 25 year professional in the environmental field. He has many years experience in the clean out and management of lagoons and ponds much larger than the Mallard Point pond.) I know there were some others who would be good from the meeting on the 14th, but I do not know their names.

Feel free to email me (juliered@mchsi.com) or leave a comment in the comment section if you have any ideas for this blog or if you have any important information that I can post.

Thanks for stopping by! 

Comments:
Just testing this comment area out! Hope to see many comments here!!
 
Meeting for residents of Mallard Point and the Village Staff will be January 27th at 6:00 PM at the Fire Station at 25 Municipal Dr.

We need to find a couple of people to speak for the group. If you have interest in representing the subdivision and the residents please contact me at (630)309-4470
 
My name is Julie Wilson, and I live with my husband, Greg and other family members at 122 Brookaven Court (not to be confused with the Circle). Fortunately, we've not had a water issue (standing water) but our sump pump runs at times even when we've had no precipitation. Therefore, I feel we are also feeling the effects of poor water drainage throughout our subdivison. I consider our lot to be higher then some of our neighbors.
I did write to one village trustee personally, as she and I have worked together on the PTO school board. Her name is Melisa Taylor and I feel strongly that individual letters or e-mails to the trustees will be helpful. This may be just as effective as large numbers showing up at the board meetings, although I also feel that is a good idea. I am not a good spokesperson, however, I also feel strongly we should involve individuals such as my neighbor, Bill Angelotti and others who know the long history of our subdivison (phase I
neighbors).

We need to go out door to door to our immediate neighbors who did not make the initial meeting and tell them about the meeting on the 27th. I plan to visit a couple this weekend.
 
Julie - Thanks for starting this blog. My wife (Katie) and I moved into 386 Mallard in June of 2006. Water wasn't an issue until early fall last year. Similar to you, we unfortunately got about 1-2 inches in the basement. Even in the midst of the recent extreme cold, our sump pump runs every 15 minutes.

If there's anything we can do to help, let me know.

Thanks again!
 
Julie, Great job on the blog site. Glad to hear someone from Mallard Point is tying to get on the ballot for a village trustee position. Could you or Mr. Montalto post some information on his background or important issue ideas for those of us who do not know him. Thank you
 
Do you think that there are more areas of the village that are suffering similar situations? Could some of this be the result of the wet summer and wettest winter, causing a higher water table all around? How can we find this out?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]